In response to the Australian Governments announcement on Sunday 2nd August 2020 regarding Stage 4 restrictions, as well as the regulations set by our industry governing bodies (Australian Physiotherapy Association (APA) and Exercise and Sports Science Australia (ESSA), we have moved the majority of our clients to our highly successful Digital Therapy Practice with only 'critical clients' continuing with face-to-face sessions in the clinic.
We have been advised of the following;
We have been advised of the following;
The risk of community transmission is still extremely high and rising; and it is very hard to justify delivering in-person clinical care which is not of a critical or urgent nature... [businesses] are strongly advised to transition as many clients as you can to Telehealth. Do not wait to do this. Make plans to do this immediately.
If care is required to prevent a significant change/deterioration in functional independence necessitating escalation of care (e.g. a requirement for specialist input/review, an increase in care needs and/or alternate accommodation, avoiding a hospital admission or emergency department presentation.
If your client is not suitable for Telepractice then you will need to use your clinical judgement here and ask yourself whether your client would significantly deteriorate in their function resulting in increased care needs IF they didn't see you.
We are here to support our families through COVID-19 restrictions in the best way possible. Please Contact Us at any time.
What is Digital Practice Therapy?
Digital Practice Therapy (DPT) exists as a way for families and children to continue Physiotherapy and Exercise Physiology sessions via the internet (computer or smartphone), in the comfort and safety of your own home.
We will be using the digital platform ZOOM for our DPT sessions.
Why Digital Practice Therapy?
During this challenging and uncertain time, routine for babies and children is key. Maintaining as many of their current activities and supports are crucial for their physical development and mental health. We recommend DPT consultations for all our current clients to provide:
Support - we are committed to support YOU at home, enabling you to discuss your child's needs, challenges and health.
Therapy for your child - our therapists will work 1:1 with your child (and siblings if appropriate) to guide you and your child through a standard 50-minute therapy session.
Home Exercise Programs - following each DPT session, your therapist will email you your therapy homework for the week! This will be updated each session if needed to add variety and stimulation to your child’s week.
Communication - we will act as a key support worker advocating for your child and communicating with your medical and allied health team to support your child in any way we can during this time.
Variety - our WHOLE therapy team is available for DPT sessions, you are welcome to engage with more than one therapist to include more variety in your child’s week.
We can also provide:
New Assessments via DPT should your friends or family in the wider community have any concerns regarding their baby or child’s development. We can assess, diagnose and treat babies and children with developmental concerns such as babies with flat spots on their heads, toe walkers, developmental delays, injuries, provide education, advice and home programs.
Fitness Challenges - check out our Home page for fun weekly sports challenges for your kids and other events!
What you will need for your DPT appointments:
Laptop or smartphone - keep your device on a flat surface, make sure video and sound is working, or better still connect your device to a speaker for optimal sound.
A clear space - depending on your child’s age and level of mobility. You will need a small space for babies, and a larger (lounge room) for children. If you have other siblings, they are welcome to join in sessions, provided your child can focus and complete the session.
Equipment - in your first session, your therapist will discuss what equipment you have at home, you don’t need a huge amount of equipment and we can help you find alternate options in your home. What we would recommend for most sessions is the following:
A soft medium size ball
2-3 couch cushions
A fit ball or peanut ball
A step or block that your child can step up and down on.
Just a few things to mention....
- Our admin team will email you the link to your session THE DAY BEFORE your session is scheduled. Please click on this link at your session time to find your therapist waiting for you. You will receive a new link for every session.
- You will still receive an automated appointment reminder SMS, please double check the time on this just in case we have had to shuffle things around a little.
- Should your digital session accidentally cut out or stop early, please check your email for a new link that your therapist will email you straight away. Click on this email link and you will be redirected back into the digital session.
- All sessions will be billed for 60 minutes. This is made up of 50 minutes face to face therapy session, plus 10 minutes for planning and progress notes.
- Should you require a new home exercise program or detailed resources specifically developed for you, you will be billed an additional admin fee, depending on the time taken for admin e.g. home exercise program takes approximately 30 minutes.
- On occasion, we will record some of your sessions or take photo screen shots to use for staff training, to develop resources for your child, develop home exercise programs and social media. Please advise us if you DO NOT wish to be recorded.
We hope you are all keeping safe and well. Give your kids a virtual hug from us, and please let us know if we can help you in any way x